Friday, April 22, 2011

Martha's Lemon Meringue Cake

(My biggest fans:)The Idea:
I had some guests coming over for lunch and the weather had actually become something resembling warm, so I decided that it would be the ideal time to try out Martha Steward's Lemon Meringue Cake. All the benefits of a lemon meringue pie, but it resembles a torte- well, judging by assembly anyway.

The Recipe:
Martha Steward's Lemon Meringue Cake (http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pdfs/pdf2/lemonmeringuecake.pdf) Alterations:
none this time. I figured I would make it just like Martha, she must know what she is talking about! Lessons Learned:


  • The cake recipe was very light. The result was delicious, but it was definitely a cake vs. a torte. I expect a rich, decadent intermingling of flavors; this was more a cake with a topping as the lemon curd filling was scant and gave good flavor, but none of the benefits of a layered dessert.


  • The meringue topping was definitely something other than frosting. It was a bit reminiscent of marshmallow fluff.


  • That said, this meringue topping would be an excellent addition if there was ever an occasion for a S'mores torte (a bit of a contradiction that may work).


  • The result left me craving more in the layers, so I would be tempted to make this recipe again, but add a bit of Italian meringue buttercream icing between the layers. But, since you bake the meringue on the cake, a butter rich frosting would melt.


  • Perhaps the Swiss meringue could be baked on to a top layer which was then added to a torte- none on the sides unfortunately, but you would not end up with a melted, buttery mess.


  • If you are craving a lemon meringue pie, skip this recipe and make the pie. If you insist o this recipe, make 1.5 or 2x the lemon curd.

What next?



It being Easter weekend, I am sort of slacking and bringing a standard cheesecake to a friend's tomorrow, but for a Monday visit I am planing to attempt my first marzipan covered torte... it may be egg shaped though. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment