Monday, August 20, 2012

Beyblade cake

The Idea:
While I made this cake about a year ago or so, I finally got a cord for my phone, that served as a weak substitute for my camera for a while while the camera wasbeing replaced. A friend of a friend asked if I would be willing to make a Beyblade themed cake for her son. I of course being always ready for an edible challenge, said yes. This was by far the most difficult cake I had ever attempted to make.
Recipe:
My standard chocolate cake
Chocolate Italian meringue buttercream
Home made Fondant
Royal icing for lettering, decoration
Silver decorating balls

The Result
I almost cried (actually I might have) thatsomeone was actually going to pay me for this monstrosity. I was deeply unsatisfied with my result because looking back it was not so bad, but it could well have been out of a when cakes go bad website. Oh well. Practice, practice, practice. I am almost sure it tasted really good though.

Valuable lessons learned:
- Practice alot with fondant before making a asymetrical, angled cake;
-Putting light fondant over chocolate buttercream leaves you with dirty looking fondant! The pictures are forgiving, but the yellow looked a bit mud-smeared.
-When in doubt cover the cake in decorations made of fondant!!  If I were to make this again, I would go nuts with the blue and green fondant "beyblades" all over. from the feedback I got, these were a hit with the party guests.


No comments:

Post a Comment